Resurrection CYO Basketball
Resurrection CYO website: www.resurrectioncyo.com
Westchester/Putnam CYO website: www.wpcyo.net
Welcome to Resurrection CYO Basketball and thank you for your involvement! Please retain this document for future reference during the season. MJ will refer to Marilyn Jackson and HK will refer to Haik Kevorkian. Contact info is [email protected]
Important Dates for the Upcoming Season
· Practices begin the w/o Monday, October 23rd.
· Intramural Games start weekend of November 11.
· 4th – 12th Grade travel league games start Friday, November 17th and end February 11th.
· No games scheduled November 22-26 & December 22-January 3rd.
· County Playoffs are Feb 23-25 and March 1-3
· The Archdiocese CYO Playoffs will be held March 8-10 and March 15-17
Safe Environment Forms and Training
The mission of the Archdiocese's "Safe Environment Program" is to ensure the safety of children and young people who have been entrusted to our care in our parishes, schools, religious education classes and other programs.
Each NEW CYO Volunteer/Coach must complete 2 forms and one training. Please print, complete, and deliver the forms and the training certificate to the Rectory (in an envelope marked “CYO Basketball Safer Spaces”) before the season starts. You can also email the completed forms to [email protected]. You can find these documents in the Safer Spaces tab on our website.
1.) Authorization for Background Check Form (every 6 years)
2.) Safe Environment Questionnaire Form (one time)
3.) Safer Spaces Online Training (one time)
You can find more information about the NY Archdiocese Safe Environment Program at:
Practices are scheduled for once a week beginning in mid-October until CYO league games begin on November 17th/18th. Once games begin, teams will practice once during the week with games on the weekends. The practice schedule is set for the season.
The gyms are generally in use 100% of our allotted time. No team may have extra or make-up practice time without permission from MJ. If you switch your practice time with another coach or do not plan on practicing in a given week, please notify MJ. If you do not use your slot, your practice time will likely be put to good use by another team.
Please respect the coach in front of you and after you by keeping your kids off the court, except for your allotted time. Pre and post-practice stretching, team meetings, etc., should be done off the court-- in the lobby vestibules.
Gym Management Procedures & Info – Overview
We need the help of all coaches in managing our gyms. If the gym is not open upon arrival, the coach should text 914-473-1221.
· Coaches should not be left unattended in the gym at any time. I will not let a team into a gym without a coach present.
· Let MJ or HK know if there is someone in the gym that you do not recognize. No one may have any coaching involvement with the kids at practices or games unless they are a coach designated by the Resurrection CYO Board and certified by the Archdiocese. We are all bound by a strict set of guidelines on this issue.
· It is incumbent upon coaches to make sure the gyms are buttoned-up after they are used. Get your teams involved - the kids should pick up after themselves. The gym has to be spotless for school the following morning!
· Please report anything unusual to MJ or HK. This includes torn nets, broken scoreboard/clock, blown out bulbs, leaks, missing keys, open doors/windows, slippery floor, backboards pulled. Please don't think someone else will correct it. We need to know about it to correct it.
Gym Procedures Specific to Grammar School Gym
· The Grammar School door (parking lot side), once opened, will lock again when closed. DO NOT prop the door open to let latecomers in, this is a HUGE safe environment violation. If players are late, they need to communicate with the coach to be let in.
· The GS scoreboard console, medical kit, and ice packets are located in the CYO bins behind the stage (on the Post Road side). Please handle the scoreboard and console with care. The scoreboard power switch is located in the corner as you enter the gym on the Post Road side. The console power switch is on the back of the console.
· Heat & A/C controls are located in the backstage stairwell next to the facilities closet on the Post Road side of the gym. The gym gets hot quickly so please do not set the heat too high (65 degrees max).
· Light switches are located under the near basket and along the stairs to the backstage staircase near the bathroom (on the parking lot side of the gym).
· The coach with the last practice/game of the day should turn off the lights, the scoreboard, the heat, and close all windows. Please put the scoreboard console in the CYO storage bins back stage. Please make sure the school stairwell lights are also turned off.
· Lock the outside doors. No matter what, the last coach has to ensure the doors are locked!)
Gym Procedures Specific to Doty Gym
· Players should use downstairs bathrooms. Under no circumstances should players be in the school cafeteria or hallways.
· Folding chairs are not allowed in the Doty Gym.
· Shades in team rooms must be in open view position.
· Scoreboard console, medical kit and ice packs are located at the scorer’s table. There are backup portable scoreboards, ice packs, medical kits, and an electric air pump in the storage closet behind the main basket. They are located on the top shelf in the back of the storage closet.
· There are instructions on how to use the scoreboard console at the scorer’s table.
· The control for the center court drop-down curtain is behind the scoreboard table. Turn the key clock-wise or counter-clockwise to raise or lower the curtain. The curtain is great for teams that practice together in the gym.
· The controls to raise / lower the Doty gym baskets are located in the gym office. The controls are not intuitive. Written instructions on lowering and raising the baskets are on the wall next to the control panel.
· Lights: If you are the last practice of the day, please turn off all the lights on your way out and make sure the doors are locked behind you. Please - do not touch the breaker panel.
· 3rd graders will receive their new uniforms from their coach at practice the week of November 6. Coaches can pick up their uniforms from the Rectory before 4pm during the week.
· All 4th-12th graders that ordered a new uniform will receive their new uniforms from their coach at practice the week of November 13. Coaches can pick up their uniforms from the Rectory before 4pm during the week.
· Coaches, please send a spreadsheet or a handwritten note with your team name, player last name and jersey number to [email protected].
Girls use a 28.5” ball from 3rd grade through high school. Boys use a 28.5” ball in 3rd through 5th grade. Sixth grade boys’ and older use 29.5” balls.
Resurrection CYO Uniform Policy
· For ALL games – including intramurals -- Resurrection CYO participants must wear complete uniforms (team jerseys and shorts). Jerseys are to be tucked in.
· If the player wears a t-shirt under their jersey, it must be white.
· We ask all coaches to respect & enforce our uniform policy as your players are not only representing their team on the court, but also Resurrection Parish.
Set-up and Clean-up: Games are scheduled by the league on Saturdays and Sundays. The first team scheduled to play Saturday morning is responsible for helping the Gym Manager set up, and the last scheduled team is required to assist with close up. Coaches and players must clean up after themselves and their fans following every game.
Stage in Grammar School gym: The stage and backstage are off limits during games. Please remind parents.
Scoreboard/Clock: We have electronic wall-mounted scoreboards in each gym. The first team on Saturday morning should set it up and the last team on Sunday must make sure it is put away. The consoles should be stored in the CYO designated area in each gym (Doty: the gym office cabinet; Grammar: the CYO bin back stage). Please report any issue with the clock or scoreboard as soon as it comes to your attention. There should be someone assigned to work the clock, if no one shows please assign a parent to help. Anyone working or scoring should not cheer at the table.
Game Schedule / Changes:
The Westchester/Putnam County Coordinators determine the schedules, and maintain the website of schedules, directions and standings for our 4th through 12th grade travel teams at www.wpcyo.net. The website will be updated and the travel game schedule will be available about two weeks before the game season starts. The 3rd grade intramural game schedule is already loaded on our website. The up-to-date schedule and standings for all grades will be accessible from the www.resurrcetioncyo.com website.
Changes to Schedule: We strongly urge that coaches make every effort to play all games as scheduled. It is very difficult to reschedule games.
Referees are confirmed the Monday prior to each game. Therefore, if you have to reschedule a game, you must first contact the opposing team’s Coordinator and [email protected] to let them know of the cancellation, and you must do so no later than the Wednesday prior to the game. If you do not inform these individuals by Wednesday, you will be responsible for paying both referees. Once you have cancelled a game, you must then work with the opposing Coordinator and Coach to reach agreement on a new date, time, and location. You should not simply cancel a game without making an immediate effort to find an alternate time and venue. Do not let it wait until the end of the season. To check Resurrection gym availability, refer to the online gym schedule on our website and confirm the gym availability with [email protected]. Once you have agreement with the opposing Coordinator/Coach on a new date, time, and venue, email the information to [email protected]. If a coach cancels a game and is unsuccessful in re-scheduling the game, that coach’s team will take a forfeit.
All schedule changes must be confirmed by both parishes and every effort will be made to update the schedule on the WPCYO website. Please keep an eye on the online schedule and report any discrepancies via email to [email protected].
If there is inclement weather, the decision on playing Home Games will be made by the Resurrection Coordinator. Decisions on Away Games rest with the Coordinator of the opposing parish. No team can force another team to travel to an Away Game if the team does not want to risk going out in bad weather. This is true even if the game is not officially cancelled. You will be informed of Home and Away game cancellations via email. Coaches should work with the Resurrection Coordinator, the Scheduling Manager, and the opposing parish Coordinator to reschedule. Some Home makeup games may need to be played on a weekday and other teams may lose practice time when games are rescheduled.
Ref Fees: Head Coaches will receive a check in December to cover the referee fees. The referee fee is $55, per ref, per game, with two refs per game. For high school, it is $65 per ref, per game, with two refs per game. One coach pays one referee and the opposing coach pays the other. If you end up with an opposing team not appearing for a scheduled game, please send an email to [email protected] and ask for assistance collecting a ref payment from the no-show parish. The referees should be paid at the beginning of the game, not the end.
For intramurals, there is one ‘teaching’ ref per game and he is paid $80 per game. The team that appears FIRST on the site schedule TEAM1 vs. TEAM2, pays the ref.
If you want to use your practice time for an organized scrimmage with ref(s), you are responsible for the ref fee.
There are no official playing time rules dictated by WPCYO. However, Resurrection CYO has instituted its own playing time rules and coaches must abide by them. As a program, we strive for equal playing time at all levels of play, with the goal of developing our players.
· For third grade, and for high school teams, playing time is absolutely equal.
· For 4th-8th grade B or C teams, playing time is a minimum of one quarter for every player, with the goal of equal playing time. At these levels, the only reasons not to give a player equal time are the size of the roster, or the failure to participate meaningfully in practice. Perceived skill level is never a reason to deny a 4th through 8th grade player, equal playing time.
· For 6th through 8th grade A teams, individual playing time is determined by the game coach and is entirely within his or her discretion based on the prevailing circumstances within a particular game. It is assumed that a player placed on an A team has the requisite skills for that level of competition and will be able to achieve success during games. Thus, there is no minimum playing time on Select teams. It is incumbent on the A team coaches to develop their players both on and off the court, and to help them succeed. Part of a player’s success is built on experiencing game conditions. As a result, A team coaches are encouraged to look for opportunities for every player to participate in games.
The program will pay for each team to play in two tournaments per season. Coaches may pay up front and then send an email to the Resurrection Coordinator requesting reimbursement. To receive reimbursement, please include the following information:
RESURRECTION COACH / TEAM:
Any fees related to anything other than ref and tournaments must be pre-approved for payment.
Each coach has the responsibility to report HOME game results. Actual scores will be reported. After a HOME game, coaches must report the results of the game online.
For everyone involved, thank you for being a member of the Resurrection community. We are grateful for the time and effort put in and we look forward to a fun and rewarding season ahead.
Resurrection CYO Board